Sunday, June 30, 2013

Julius & Selma Schulz Rachuig Home on Niels Creek in Bosque County


This following photo shows the Julius & Selma Schulz homestead on Niels Creek sometime around 1906.  I estimate that date using Edgar Rachuig as the benchmark.  He's the baby on the ground.  Walter Rachuig, Sr. and Hilda Rachuig Krueger are the other children.  Selma Schulz Rachuig is sitting in the chair; Julius Rachuig is the adult man standing behind Uncle Walter.  I will need to look up the identities of the two young women and young man.  I vaguely recall they are in-laws and hired hands.


I had a chance to visit the location with Charles Rachuig, Sr. about 10 years ago.  The house was long gone, but my aunt, Mayme Rachuig Haus, took the following picture sometime before it was demolished.  Apparently, owners remodeled it over the years.


Here is the general location.  I recall Richard Rachuig, younger brother of Julius, saying in his memoirs that the Rachuigs helped construct the railroad as it passed through the Niels Creek area.  Here's a map showing the location.

 
The Rachuig family moved to their home on Hackberry Street in Clifton around 1920.  I recall that one of Susan Read's relatives owned the land in the past, or maybe still owns it.  I hope someone can update me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment