Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Marriage Registry for Washington County, Texas

Mike Chandler, grandson of Richard & Anna Marie Rachuig, sent me this link to the marriage registry for Washington County, Texas which was the first stop for many of our family groups when they migrated from Germany to Texas.

Notice that my branch of the family is given even another spelling of the family surname: RACHOUG. This is probably a transcription error, or misreading when the typist transcribed the original, hand-written ledger. It's just another example of how names can acquire variant spellings.

Also notice the number of RACHUI entries. As I've said before, my branch of the family has the same spelling on the US Census for 1880. It's likely we are related.

(Update) I got a note from Dorothy Rachui pointing out the entry labeled RACHIN is actually a RACHUI, too. There's another mispelling of our surname.

Link to Washington County, Texas Marriage Registry

No comments:

Post a Comment